Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Kickin' It Old School

About a week-and-a-half ago I received a letter from my friend Kim. It's always such a treat to receive fun mail and this letter was surely no exception! Back when I was a child I would look forward to getting the mail each day. You never knew when there would be a card or letter or something fun in the mail. These days, unless my grandfather sends us a letter, or Kim sends some gnomes (or other surprises) for the girls or a letter to me ,or it's someones birthday, the mail is generally pretty boring. There really is something so wonderful about receiving a handwritten note from someone you care about. So, last night I sat down to write to my friend. It felt so very right to take pen to paper and reply back. Sure, I could have dropped Kim a note via Facebook but that wouldn't generate the same excitement and happy feelings as getting a letter in the mail would now would it? I filled three sides of the card and easily could have written more. Receiving Kim's letter and reading this article really got me thinking. We have so much technology and yet we are more disconnected than ever before. A handwritten note, a phone call, a visit in person, family gatherings on Sundays: these are all things that we really should bring back. Things that we should make more of an effort to make happen. And perhaps if we do, if we unplug and "kick it old school" a little more often, we'll all become happier, more connected and and a lot less stressed. Perhaps then getting the mail will return to being an exciting time each day (and hey, maybe in the process we can help save the postal service, too)! I am going to make sending letters to family a friends a much more regular practice. I hope you'll join me in doing the same!

6 comments:

  1. I love "real" letters too! So much better than email, although I understand the benefit/necessity of email. Both of my school-age boys have penpals, so they get some fun mail pretty frequently :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Email is lovely and quick and it is definitely a good way to stay in touch, but there really is just something about a handwritten letter that never gets old! :)

      Delete
  2. Shel, this is such a great reminder for us all! I have several handwritten notes on my to-do list and I need to just sit down and write them. You are inspiring! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry! I am glad that you loved this post as much as I loved putting it together! It's definitely a good reminder for us all! :)

      Delete
  3. You just made me smile Shel. Such a lovely post, and exactly the reason I have taken the challenge to write a letter once a week every week this year. It is a lovely practice and has brought me so much joy. It is a simple way to let someone know you are thinking about them.

    Technology has its place in our lives, I just feel at times, it is good to step back and enjoy the simple "old school" things :)

    Love and hugs to you my friend. I can't wait to get your letter. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me smile too, Kim! Thanks so much for your sweet letter and thanks so much for being part of this journey! It really is fabulous to have such a kindred spirit to share it with!

      Oh goodness, it surely does have it's place in our lives! If it wasn't for our blogs we never would have been able to get to know each other! And I feel the same way about Facebook too (though there are some times I am not so keen on Facebook. Another post for another time)! It really is good to step back and kick it old school. It's a lovely way to stay connected to the ways of the past.

      Love and hugs to you too, my friend! xoxo

      Delete