Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Few Of Her Favorite Things

Last night Grace and I headed out for a "Grace and Mama Night Out". It had been awhile since we had gone out just the two of us, and last night seemed like the perfect time to correct that. Grace has seemed in a bit of a funk for the last few days. Not sure if it's her allergies kicking in, or just part of being almost eight, but whatever it was a night out seemed like a good idea. We hatched a plan, chose a place to go (WooBerry- her new favorite spot) and out we went. On the way I shared with her about the time that Emma and I asked each other questions."Can we do that too, mama? Ask each other questions?" And just like that, as we drove along, it began.

Me: "What is your favorite color?"
Grace: "Pink! You know that, Mama!" 
Me: "I do!" 
Grace: "Mama, what's your favorite color?"
Me: "Well, you already know that I love all the colors but my most favorite is pink, just like you!"
Grace: "What is your favorite tree?"
Me: "My favorite tree is....well, now that I think about it I have like two, no three, favorites." 
Grace: "You do? What are they?"
Me: "Well, ever since I was a little girl I have loved the Willow Tree."
Grace: "Just like me!" 
Me: "Yes, just like you. And I also love the Weeping Cherry..."
Grace: "The Weeping Cherry?! Is it pretty? What does it look like?"
Me:  "I'll have to show you a picture. It's beautiful. You'll love it! And I also love the Lilac, but I think that's actually a bush and not a tree though is surely looks like a tree. Grace, what is your favorite bird?" (since I already knew the answer to the tree question I figured I'd choose something else).
Grace: "My favorite bird......is.....the Humming Bird! They are so tiny and cute! What's yours, Mama?" 
Me: "The Robin. I've always thought they were so sweet! Who's your best friend?"
Grace: "Emma!!"
Me: "I love that! Emma said the same thing about you when I asked her that question! OK, here's another question, Grace, what do you like best about how we live?" 
Grace: "I like that we homeschool and get to be together all the time." 
Me: "Do you ever wonder what it would be like to go to school?"
Grace: "Nope. Though I remember going to preschool." 
Me: "What did you think of that?" 
Grace: "I didn't really like it. I liked the day that Mother Nature came to visit! That was fun!"
Me: "If you decide to be a mama do you think you'd send your kids to school or keep them home?" 
Grace: "I'd keep them home so we can have adventures together like you do with us. I wish Daddy could come with us more."
Me: "I know, baby, me too. I am so grateful for all Daddy does to make this incredible life we live possible. And it is nice that he is home as much as he is!" 
Grace: "I agree! Mama, where's your favorite place to be?"
Me: "My favorite place to be is wherever you girls and Daddy are. I really like being at home. I love our house. If you want to know a place I really love to visit and wish we could live that would be Woodstock Vermont. The first time I was ever there I just fell in love with it."
Grace: "Can you take me sometime?"
Me: "Sure, I know you and Emma would love it there! Where is somewhere you love to go?"
Grace: "I love when we go to the lake and I love when we go to the Butterfly Place. Can we go there again?"
Me: "Sure! I think it's open. We'll have to check. So, tell me, what is the thing you like best about your life?"
Grace: "I love everything. I like being with you and Emma and Daddy. I like playing."
Me: "Is there anything you would change about your life?"
Grace: "No!"
Me: "How do you know that I love you?"
Grace: "Cause you hug me and kiss me and tell me all the time!"
Me: "I do! And don't ever forget it! Is there anything I can do to make your life better?"
Grace: "I don't think so. Maybe we could go out just us more. And always be a team."
Me: "That sounds like a good idea!"

At this point we have now arrived a WooBerry. Required pictures of our night out were taken, yogurt creations chosen and ordered, and we found a place to sit and chat some more.

Grace: "I miss Emma but I'm having fun just us two!" 
Me: "I miss her too. I bet she and Daddy are having fun though! Do you think you might ever want your own room?"
Grace: "Oh, no, we hate to be separated. The only time we like to be a part is quiet time. We wouldn't be able to fall asleep without each other."
Me: "Do you think you'll always live together?"
Grace: "Probably." she takes a bite of her yogurt. "I hope we always all live near each other."

Our chatting continued 'til we finished our yogurt and then continued some more as we walked hand in hand (as we always do) back to the car. We decided that we weren't ready to go home just yet so we went and poked around Barnes & Nobel a bit. What a lovely night out with my sweet firstborn girl. I am so glad that we were able to spend some time just the two of us. We're both looking forward to our next night out already. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment