Saturday, December 14, 2013

Our Hearts Are Broken, Our Spirit Is Not

I have been sad all week. 

Last year, in the wake of the horrific events that took place in Newtown, my heart started aching for the families that lost loved ones that day and it hasn't stopped yet. When this week began I woke up in a funk and couldn't figure out why. It was only when I was adding something to our calendar that I realized what would arrive at the end of this week: the Newtown anniversary. As soon as I noticed it my mood made complete sense. And while noticing it didn't make it go away it at least cleared up why I felt like I had a little grey cloud hanging over head. 

The deep sadness that I feel can in no way compare to the emotions that the families have gone through and the feelings they've experienced over the course of the last year. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like for them. Many of them have shared their words and thoughts so beautifully. This video from Emilie's mama had me weepy from her very first word. And this gorgeous letter that Jimmy Greene wrote to his younger self brought the cleansing cry that I had been waiting for all week long. If you watch these amazing tributes to these sweet children please be sure you have a box of tissues nearby. 

And so I leave you with their words, along with a link to my blogpost from last year and finally the encouragement to go out into the world and spread as much love and kindness and goodness as possible. If you already spread lots of love and kindness and goodness spread more. For this world of ours could surely use it.

1 comment:

  1. My heart and prayers are with you all. A hard anniversary for you - but there will be many outside your community standing in a circle round you xxx

    ReplyDelete