Thursday, September 12, 2013

National Day Of Service And Remembrance

 Yesterday was the National Day of Service and Remembrance. The girls and I chatted over breakfast about what we could do for our "good deed". I told them a little bit about September 11th and the helpers that were present that day and they decided that we should bake something yummy to take to the fire department and police department in our town. 
One quick trip to the store,and some coloring pages printed from online, and our service project was ready to go. 
We decided to wait until David got home to deliver the brownies so that he could be part of the project too. 
It was the perfect way to spend our September 11th. Taking a day that was so horrific and doing something good with it is just what is needed. Such a simple project and yet one that brought so much joy to all involved. The fire department and police department were both surprised and honored to receive homemade treats and cards. I imagine those brownies didn't last long!

Community Service Learning is such a very a powerful thing and something that I am happy is a such major part of our family and how we roll. I love that giving back is second nature to the girls. I love how all they need to hear is that there is a need somewhere and they come up with a way to fill it. I love that they will grow up using this day to serve and give back. It is my hope that they never know first hand anything like the events of that awful day all those years ago; but if they do I know in my heart that these two sweet souls will surely roll up their sleeves and find a way to Do Good. 

1 comment: